Imagine having the inconvenience of not being able to enter or exit your garage. Your car is left in limbo, trapped inside with no way for you to get in. This is why it is essential to know how to perform garage door opener repair Norfolk VA, so you can do all the maintenance necessary and ensure it is in perfect working order.
Here are the steps on how to repair a garage door opener:
- Remove the cover of your garage door opener. You can do this by using a screwdriver to remove the screws holding down the cover plate on top of your garage door opener. Once you have removed these screws, carefully pry off the cover with your fingers until it is completely detached from the machine.
- Pull out any visible loose electrical wiring that is connected to your device. Make sure that you double check the wire connections and ensure that they are securely held in place.
- Remove any loose screws on your garage door opener’s motor with a screwdriver to tighten up the tension.
- Turn on your garage door opener and test it out by closing and opening it a few times.
- Reattach the cover plate to your garage door opener and then test it out one more time. If there are still problems with how it operates, call a professional for help.
What is a Garage Door Opener?
A garage door opener is a motorized device used for opening and closing garage doors. Garage door openers are electrically powered, usually by a home’s circuit breaker or a dedicated power line for the opener.
Garage door openers commonly feature several safety devices that may make them harder to hack into. They generally have rolling codes (changing codes each time they’re used), and most work with a photoelectric eye that will stop the door from closing if something is in its way (such as a child or animal).